MedPAC votes on 2023 payment recommendations
Jan 13, 2022
The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission today recommended that Congress provide a current law update for the hospital inpatient and outpatient prospective payment systems in fiscal year 2023, currently estimated at 2.5% for inpatient and 2.0% for outpatient.
In other action, MedPAC recommended that:
- Congress reduce 2023 payment rates for skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and inpatient rehabilitation facilities by 5%;
- Congress update 2023 payment rates for long-term care hospitals by the amount specified in current law;
- Congress update 2023 Medicare payment rates for physician and other health professional services by the amount specified in current law, and the Department of Health and Human Services require clinicians to use a claims modifier to identify audio-only telehealth services;
- Congress eliminate the 2023 update to the Medicare conversion factor for ambulatory surgical centers, and the Department of Health and Human Services require ASCs to report cost data; and
- Congress eliminate the 2023 update to Medicare base payment rates for hospice providers, and the Department of Health and Human Services require hospices to report telehealth services on Medicare claims.